Sunday 9 September 2012

DIY Letters

 This week has been hectic, I have been getting lots of things done for Mr Birds, sorting through all my vintage stock and trying to plan how to decorate and organise my shop space.  This evening I took a bit of time out and sat and watched some Saturday TV.  Whilst I was watching I decided to have a go at something new.  Last week I picked up some craft supplies and I decided to make myself a prop for the shop.  I bought some Mod Podge glue which I have heard lots of rave reviews about, a floral decopatch sheet and a craft @ sign.  
Supplies
I thought I would share with you how I decorated my letter just in case you would like a go yourself.  I started by applying a light coverage of glue.  I used a hog bristle brush to do this although any thick bristled brush would work.  I used Mod Podge as I bought it to use on some other projects.  When I enquired in the shop they told me that there were a number of special glues and varnishes available but the shop assistant also recommended good old PVA.  


I then cut the paper into different sized pieces and positioned them on the @ sign.  I covered them with a thin layer of the glue.  I used my fingers to flatten any bumps and made small cuts in the paper when I was trying to cover the rounded edges as I found this a lot easier.  



When I had covered the whole sign I applied another thin layer of glue.  I tried to make sure the strokes were even and then I left it to dry which took about 20 minutes.  I repeated the same steps on the reverse.  



I am really pleased with my first attempt, it's not perfect but I had lots of fun making it.  Next time I am going to try using smaller pieces of paper to cover the sign to see if I can improve the coverage.  

I am going to use this in the shop to display all of my contact details for Facebook, Twitter, ASOS Marketplace, my website and of course my blog.  

What do you think? Have you ever made something similar? Do you have any tips? 

Laura xxx

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea!

    I'm having my first ever giveaway at the moment, so feel free to check out my blog and enter!
    sophie-said.blogspot.co.uk

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie I will pop over and have a look now, I'm holding my first giveaway too so make sure you have a go xxx

      Delete